11 IMPORTANT FACTORS TO CHOOSE ORLANDO PROPERTY MANAGER
By Jenny Alejandro
According to research many Orlando homeowners displayed dissatisfaction with their property managers. Specifically, dissatisfaction is associated with either abilities, knowledge, or competencies of the managers. Some research participants indicated that they suffer from poor communication and feel that their properties are mismanaged. While abilities and knowledge are easy to measure, evaluating a property manager’s competencies can be a complex task even for savvy real estate investors. Over time both scholars and practitioners developed a set of the competencies property managers need to be effective. If homeowners are not completely satisfied with their Orlando property managers or property management companies, they should not settle with low or average performance and keep searching for property management solutions that fully fit their needs and their properties needs.
What are the competencies efficient Orlando property managers have?
Interpersonal, leadership, conceptual, administrative, and technical competencies domains are the competency groups studied by Tas, LaBrecque, and Clayton in their article Property – Management Competencies for Management Trainees (1996). Multiple recent studies supported that they remain relevant and practically functional in the Orlando property management market today. The list below unfolds the groups and presents 11 property management competencies that property owners need to look for when they attempt to hire a Property Manager.
- Smooth interaction with a wide variety of people, including customers, peers, and contractors.
- Effective and calm operation under pressure or in crisis situations.
- Maintaining the “big picture” while working on specific property management tasks.
- Setting up the performance standards for specific job functions.
- Effective planning and scheduling.
- Maintaining an efficient and comprehensive administrative and record-keeping systems.
- Developing a layout and design plan promoting effective use of labor.
- Implementing the Housing Act regulations in the workplace.
- Evaluating a fire- safety system.
- Monitoring the energy- management program.
- Conducting an energy audit.
All competencies are important for managing the properties as in Orlando as in other areas of the United States; however, some competencies are more essential than others. Therefore, this article displays the competencies according to level of their importance and ranking. Importantly, research pointed that human- relations and managerial skills are more important than technical skills. For example, effective communication is the key factor to keep homeowners happy, but often is neglected by the property managers in Orlando.
Indeed, the competencies listed above are what successful property managers must have. However, the list itself may not be helpful if the owners of the rental properties don’t know how to use them while selecting a new property management.
Orlando Property Management Expert
Got Real Estate and Property Management research and ideas to share? Let’s have a cup of Virtual Coffee.